6/14/2011

me and my universe

Is There Something Greater than You in the Universe?  

another Key to Happiness.


When I do my counseling groups, sometimes I ask a group member to gooutside and grab a leaf off a bush or tree.  I live in Arizona and something is always green and growing.  When the person returns with the leaf, i hold it up to my class and ask,  "Can anyone in this room,or in the world who can create this living thing?"  I am not talking about growing a leaf, I am referring to making it from chemicals.  If any person could do this, I would then ask them "Now can you create the chemicals that made it?"  Can they create these things?  Nope.Can't even come close.


This indicates to me that something greater than me exists in the universe, an Intelligence in other words.  Most people who are happier and better adjusted have some idea of a Higher Power.  I would not presume to tell you what that is for you, but the research shows it is better for you to have some kind of Higher Power.Another thing that research demonstrates is the persons with more traditional value systems are happier.  People who adhere to moral values are better adjusted and report greater levels of contentmentthan those who life a "moral free, any goes" existence.  One thing to watch here (and the research is mixed here) about those who rigidly hold on to moral values--in other words, those who are too inflexible probably are headed for some trouble in their life. 


Children who livein traditional homes are happier if the rules are not enforced with hostility or anger.Rigidness is not healthy in other words.Finally, alone these lines, research shows a strong relationship between a willingness to forgive and higher levels of contentment and better physical health.  Those who tend to hold grudges report the opposite--in general.Here then are three clues to happiness:  a belief in a Higher Power,having more traditional values, and being willing to let go of grudges and resentments.  Try it.


email me for comments or if you need psychological help at planethelp1000@hotmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment